|OLIVE CAKE - ELIOPITTA|
4 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup olive oil
3 teaspoons baking powder (heaped)
1 can orange soda (e.g. Fanta)
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
The juice of 1 orange
1 1/2 cups pitted dry black olives (kalamata type)
1 medium brown onion finely chopped
2 spring onions finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoonschopped fresh dill
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (coriander)
3 tablespoons orange juice or diluted orange squash
2 tablespoons dry mint
1 teaspoon sugar
10 black olives (cut in long thin strips) for decoration - Optional
- Lightly grease and flour a 25cm round bundt or ring cake pan and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F
- Rinse the olives under some running cold water.
- In a food processor add half of the chopped brown onion, 3-4 tablespoons of fresh orange juice, half a cup of chopped pitted black olives and blend just long enough to turn into a smooth paste (not liquid).
- In a big mixing bowl sieve the flour, salt and baking powder. Make a well in the centre and add the olive oil, vegetable oil, orange soda, the rest of the fresh orange juice, the orange zest, the dry and fresh mint, the fresh coriander, the other half of the chopped brown onion, the spring onion, dill, the remaining cup of chopped black olives and the olive paste you prepared in the food processor.
- Mix all the ingredients well until thoroughly combined and mixture does not stick to your hands or spoon.
- Transfer mixture to your prepared cake pan, smooth with a spatula and brush with some orange juice (or squash) and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Finally arrange the long strips of slices olives evenly around the pan to decorate. (Optional)
- Bake in the preheated oven at 180C/350F for about an hour or until a knife or skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for around 10 mins before you transfer to a serving dish.